AT RELIC ENTERTAINMENT (VIEW ALL JOBS)
Do you believe in cultivating solutions that create a seamless experience for players?
Are you a player-centric designer who is focused on crafting world class in-game experiences?
If so, our UX Designer role might be the perfect fit for you!
Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, (and now!) Age of Empires IV and we’re on the hunt for a UX Designer to work in our Vancouver studio. This soon to be Relican will join our UX/UI team supporting Age of Empires IV. As a studio, our role is to create a workplace where people are energized and empowered to not only do their best work but to continually surpass their best. We’ll push you out of your comfort zone to become the best version of you by giving you the ownership and creative freedom to solve our most challenging problems.
As an integral part of our UX team, you will be tasked with immersing our players into the design of the game. Our team’s end goal? Creating a legendary player experience.
As our UX Designer you will…
- Be our architect of where information lives and how it's presented to the player
- Act as an HUD interactions expert, specifying both front-end and in-game HUD interactions through wireframes, prototypes, and more
- Distill potentially competing information from a variety of stakeholders into actionable improvements
- Balance the needs of design, art, marketing, player expectations, and more, to create an engaging & seamless product
- Have a natural ability to understand the intent of our game design and how to make that design come to life through UI
- Understand the importance of (and be able to action) giving feedback to other areas - Art, Audio, FX, etc. - on how their work is or isn’t meeting UX requirements
We’re looking for someone who has…
- 3+ years of relevant experience with at least one shipped game title
- Related post-secondary education, with preference towards a Degree or Diploma in Interaction Design, UX, HCI, or related fields
- A portfolio of work that showcases UX, interaction design skills, and high level problem solving. Please include this portfolio link in the application below!
- Experience using various UX design methods - contextual inquiry, card sorting, user journeys, personas, stakeholder interviews, wireframes, etc.
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to produce clear designs that describe the experience
- An ability to explain design rationale and follow problems up-stream to their root cause - instead of just making things look shiny, you are obsessed over making the end-user’s experience better
- The ability to not only manage their own time but be vocal and champion features they want to see implemented
- Familiarity with Photoshop / Illustrator / Sketch, and interaction design tools like Axure / Omnigraffle
- Working graphic design foundation skills (space, layout, typography, image)
It’s a bonus if you have…
- An aptitude for input prototyping and designing control schemes
- Experience with WPF
- Experience with scripting languages like LUA
- Knowledge of XAML and Microsoft Blend
- Experience designing applications for a global and multilingual user base
- Experience in graphic design or UI art, with a strong awareness of current trends
- Experience planning and conducting usability studies
- Experience with data analysis and visualization in tools like Excel, Tableau, etc.
- Portfolio case studies that cover wicked problems and how they were approached
What’s in it for you?
You will become part of the SEGA family (in addition to Relic, it includes Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, Hardlight Studio, and Amplitude Studios) which means you’ll have an opportunity to work on AAA games and learn a ton. We also offer top-notch benefits and perks, including an extensive extended health benefits plan, retirement savings plan, and support for any required relocation or immigration efforts. On top of that, we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games so we offer competitive total compensation packages.
Please apply through this portal - you'll find the application below! Make sure to tell us a bit about yourself, provide your portfolio details and let us know why YOU would be a great fit for our team!
Regrettably, we are unable to interview all applicants. Please be patient while we review every application. We will get in touch with the applicants that best fit what we’re looking for, so please make sure you tell us about yourself and how you would like to contribute to our team.
Note: We are currently only able to accept applications from individuals who are legally qualified to work in Canada.