Redwood City, CA, United States
Crystal Dynamics is located in Redwood City, CA in the heart of Silicon Valley. Benefits for this full-time, on-site, permanent position include excellent benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance, 401K plus match, generous PTO), studio perks like discounted and free games and clothing, access to our facility’s 38,000 square foot gym with rock climbing wall and pool, EV charging stations, and a fabulous view of the San Francisco Bay. Expect perfect weather, access to everything you care to do outside, and world-class food and attractions in the immediate area.
As an FX Engineer at Crystal dynamics, you will work directly with FX artists and tech artists to extend the FX system in Crystal’s Foundation Engine. You will be responsible for maintaining existing systems, and working with your teammates to design and implement new FX features. Visual effects help us establish a character’s presence in the world, and help to bring the world to life. In addition to this FX work, you will also work on other Foundation engine systems as needed.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Design, develop, implement, and maintain real-time FX systems to current specifications.
- Partner with engineering leadership and other programmers to establish design specifications and architecture for future requirements.
- Work closely with designers, technical artists, FX artists, content creators, and other engineers to develop solutions that satisfy design and content requirements.
- Partner with the production staff in building and maintaining realistic schedules, identifying dependencies and raising red-flags where appropriate.
- Collaborate with lead and/or senior programmers on priorities and design review, and then take ownership and development responsibilities for extending existing systems or on new systems
Skills & Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering-related field or equivalent;
- 2+ years of games industry experience or equivalent, ideally developing for a major AAA console or PC game title;
- Able to design, implement, and optimize C++ code in new and existing systems. All code must be clear, maintainable, portable and efficient ;
- Experienced in designing, authoring, and/or refactoring FX systems in proprietary game engines;
- Knowledge of and experience with advanced vector math and modern real-time rendering techniques;
- Knowledgeable in overall game architecture and tools, with specific experience in one or more areas of game development (game systems, tools, platform experience, etc.);
- Strong knowledge in object-oriented programming;
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work efficiently and independently. Strong time management skills with a proven ability to focus on priorities and solve problems in a timely manner;
- Collaborates with lead and/or senior programmers on priorities and design review, and then takes ownership and development responsibilities for extending existing systems or on new systems;
- Works autonomously, with proven ability to define, refine, and alter technical designs and implementation of medium sized systems or tools;
- Responsible for development process on assigned systems and tasks, including creation of or contribution to technical design documents, accurately assessing time requirements and confidence level, and successfully completing milestones;
- Good verbal and written communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences, including productive feedback and brainstorming, creation / contribution to technical design documents, code documentation, and Wiki / Web based documents;
- Effectively communicate thoughts and ideas with peer programmers and supervisor, collectively working towards larger technical goals.
Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V employer.