GENERALIST SOFTWARE ENGINEER - ANIMATION SYSTEMS
Redwood City, CA, United States
Crystal Dynamics is seeking a Generalist Software Engineer with an emphasis on Animation Systems to join and collaborate with a talented game team to develop and iterate on systems and tools pipelines for our next AAA title, with an emphasis on Animation systems. Utilize and perfect your expertise in Animation as well as develop knowledge in other areas like Physics, 3D Graphics/Rendering, AI, Player systems, Cameras, Networking and game tools. Responsible for the technical design, collaboration, and implementation of systems. Work closely with your lead to create the best game experience possible.
- Collaborate with animators and programmers to design improvements to existing tools and develop exciting new technology.
- Work with our talented animators to iterate on existing systems and tools.
- Collaborate with our team to develop cutting edge animation components that interact with networked, physics, and other gameplay objects
- Leverage animation system expertise to improve, optimize and debug runtime animation systems
- Work with the lead to architect the cinematic and runtime animation systems.
- Optimize tools for ease of use, and boosting the workflow productivity for animators.
- Provide and own the end-to-end solution for the system, from motion capture to authoring tools, export tools, build tools and runtime systems
Competencies, Skills & Knowledge:
- Knowledge of animation compression and optimization techniques ( i.e. quaternion, key frame reduction, LODs and efficient compression algorithms )
- Knowledge of animation systems such as:
- Muscular deformation
- Facial animation
- Cloth + Hair simulation and animation
- Special Effects animation
- Physics-driven animation
- Strong industry knowledge in areas of expertise, and able to define technical direction in these areas for a given team and as an advisor for studio wide initiatives
- Proven ability to work on complex long-term tasks and complete them at high-quality and on schedule
- Able to design, implement, and optimize C++ code in new and existing systems. All code must be clear, maintainable, portable, and efficient
- Be a self-starter that effectively manages time and responsibilities to produce the highest quality work possible
- Actively contribute to a positive and fun work environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively share and brainstorm thoughts and ideas to bring an exciting new world to life!
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 4+ years of experience or equivalent as a software engineer with strong knowledge of animation techniques (i.e. motion capture, facial morphing, procedural and inverse kinematics)
- Experience working with Python and Maya
- Experience working with C#
Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V employer.