Technical Director, Game Server & LiveOps Tech
DIGIT is Ireland’s largest games developer and the creator of free-to-play strategy MMO games. Our first game, Kings of the Realm, has grossed well into the seven figures since launching late 2014. We are developing our second title, based on a phenomenal IP, launching in 2018.
Your passion will be in creating and maintaining awesome games and game services, as well as ensuring we have the best and most efficient development experience and processes. This is a great opportunity to lead and scale exceptional teams of experienced Game Server and LiveOps Tech engineers.
Here's what you will be doing
- Technically lead and manage our MMO Game Server Engineering teams as well as our LiveOps Tech Engineers.
- Work closely with CTO, defining and implementing key technical goals as well as plans to bring teams and tech to the next level.
- Coach all teams of DIGIT's backend division, consisting of highly technical and motivated backend developers.
- Maintaining high energy levels and team spirit across all teams
- Make sure your teams, your leads and yourself are world class experts for building highly scalable and consistent real-time backends and online services for mobile F2P 3D MMOs.
- Review and enhance our game server development standards and processes. Push the quality bar on every topic (E.g. code quality & efficiency, stability, game server performance, architecture, frictionless programming, collaborative working, project structure etc.).
- Own and report on technical backlog, technical roadmap, technical performance and technical quality.
- Provide regular status and KPI reports. Make progress and wins transparent to the studio.
- Help your teams with troubleshooting and research of technical solutions.
- Work closely with the Client Director to align strategies and collaborative processes.
- You are on-call as part of the escalation scheme.
- Play a lead role in influencing and guiding the technical direction of our products.
- Provide recommendations to product & feature owners about cost-effective alternatives.
To do this job, you will need
- Solid technical leadership experience in managing talented engineering teams.
- Professional AAA or F2P MMO game-dev or comparable experience.
- 5+ years experience working in professional agile as well as predictable software production.
- Broad knowledge of different architectures and how they fit or not for specific goals (e.g. best CPU performance, efficient data storage, code understandability, consistency etc.).
- Pragmatic and sustainable approach to programming and creating extensible and maintainable high performance code.
- Very experienced in developing backends and servers for large scale MMO games or similar systems that can handle very high numbers of concurrent users.
- Solid programming skills in Python and another programming language (e.g. C#, Elixir, Java, C++).
- Solid Linux skills (Bash, working with log files, monitoring IO etc.).
- Solid understanding of consistency and transactions.
- Experience working with Redis, ORMs and migration scripts.
- Experienced in developing large-scale online services and at least basic DevOps experience.
- Solid understanding on how to prevent intrusions, injections, cheating etc.
- Be a gamer.
While not mandatory, below are some nice to have’s
- Full lifecycle experience for a mobile game with a large active playerbase.
- Low-level networking & network-protocols experience.
- Experiences in low-latency and low-IO architectures.
- Experience working with Amazon and Docker.
- Experienced in creating highly optimised low latency code.
- Experience with stateless as well as stateful architectures.
- Experience with distributed actor systems.
- Experience in a functional programming language (Scala, F#, Erlang etc.).
- Experienced in Unit-Testing and other automated testing e.g. using JMeter, Locust or Tsung.
- Experience with Unity, or C# is a bonus.
- Experience in mentoring.
- Experience in Data Protection.