When the world is going to hell, you want it to look like it’s been there, got chewed up and was spat back out, right? If you do, then this might just be the job for you! Starbreeze is now looking for a seasoned Lightning Artist to join our kick-ass team in Stockholm.
As an Lighting Artist you will enjoy artistic ownership of gameplay levels, pushing your aesthetic and technical skills to the fullest. Your interest lies foremost with creating realistic lightning in worlds, exteriors and interiors, as well as nature. You thrive in an environment where you continually use your ability to multi-task and communicate with colleagues within several different disciplines.
The main function of this position is to ensure that the Art Director’s vision for lighting and materials is realized. To achieve this, you’ll work with proprietary tools built to light awe-inspiring gameplay settings.
- Create the lighting look for our games in accordance with the art direction
- Own lighting for game levels and dynamic/scripted lighting
- Experience with in-house/commercial game engines
- Experience lighting real time levels
- Experience in how lights impact on the game performance
- AA/BFA preferred, or at least demonstrates through portfolio an industry standard level of art
- Strong sense of light and shadow demonstrated
- Knowledge of colour theory (Art History can be useful)
- Ability to follow design reference and sympathy with wide range of styles
- Ability to light characters and environments, interior & exterior, different times of day, etc.
- Understanding of composition and the ability to enhance mood by lighting
- Experience with materials/shaders and their relationship to light
- Wide understanding of lighting/rendering technologies (pre-render and real-time rendering, sub surface scattering, HDR, refraction, etc)
- Must possess excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to work in a collaborative environment, taking direction from the Art Director/Leads as necessary
Nice to have:
- Experience with in-house game engines is a plus